We’ve all been there – it’s 2 o’clock in the morning, and you’ve been tossing and turning all night. Restful sleep has eluded you, and you’re hoping to get maybe a couple hours of sleep. Insomnia is incredibly common in the US; 30% of adults in the US suffer from some type of insomnia, according to the Ammerican Academy of Sleep Medicine.
We’ve compiled 10 tips for getting a more restful nights sleep.
- Make your bedroom the ultimate comfort zone
- Ensure your mattress and pillows are optimal for restful sleep – make sure your pillows and mattress give the proper support and top with an extra cozy comforter.
- Keep it dark and cool. A dark, cool bedroom environment helps to promote restful sleep.
2. Stick to a sleep schedule
- Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day; this will help reset your internal clock
3. Try relaxation techniques
- Take a warm bath to relax before bedtime – Healthy Honeys Relaxing Rose Bath Salts will melt the days stresses away
- Try meditation or breathing techniques; there are lots of meditation apps available today
4. Eat for sleep
- Magnesium and B vitamins are two nutrients that may help enhance your sleep. Try to avoid eating lots of processed foods close to bedtime, which are high in sugar.
5. Brew a hot beverage
- Chamomile tea is a natural sleep aid
- Warm milk may help too; try to avoid anything caffeinated
- Lavender tea with an extra boost of Healthy Honeys Lavender Tincture will promote relaxation and sleep
6. Exercise during the day
- Moderate aerobic exercise is not only good for your heart, but can help tire your body to promote a more quality nights sleep
- Relax sore muscles before bed with Healthy Honeys Relief Cream. Rub into sore muscles to get relaxed.
7. Take notes
- Use a sleep tracking app to track your sleep habits; these insights can be helpful should you choose to go see a counselor or doctor
8. Get out and about
- Increase your exposure to natural sunlight during the day. This promotes a healthy balance of the sleep hormone, melatonin.
9. No work in the bedroom
- Two things should be happening in your bed, and that’s sleeping and sex.
- Minimize screens in the bedroom. Artificial light emitted by screens can disrupt your body’s preparations for sleep by stimulating daytime hormones. Reduce your exposure to screens an hour before bedtime.
10. Vent stresses before bed
- Set aside time earlier in the day to talk through your day’s stresses, this way, those thoughts aren’t running around once your head hits the pillow
- Healthy Honeys Lavender Tincture is a great way to manage stress and promote sleep
Healthy Honeys has made catching some zzzz’s even easier with our Sweet Dreams pack. Massage and relax tired muscles with our Relief Cream. Our Relaxing Rose Bath Salts are sure to melt away the days stresses, and our Lavender Tincture naturally promotes a quality, restful nights sleep.