Dazzle your tastebuds with these healthy and super simple peanut butter stuffed dates. Not only are these delicious snacks undeniably good for you, but you can make them for yourself, the family, and even for events.
The soft and caramelly consistency of these sweet and healthy stuffed date treats gives you all the versatility you could want from a healthy snack — eat them alone, serve them as hors d’oeuvres, or use them as a sweetener for a delicious dessert. Plus, they only require four (or potentially five) ingredients, take little time to make, and can be stored in the fridge or freezer to save for another day (if you somehow don’t finish them all in one go).
Ingredients For Healthy Date and Peanut Butter Snacks
- Medjool Dates – This variety is highly recommended over other dates because of their size and overall taste, making stuffing much easier.
- Peanut Butter (or, alternatively, Ezra Cohen Montreal Nut Butter) – While this recipe works great with peanut butter, you can also substitute it for a different type of nut butter. We love these delicious nut butters from Ezra Cohen, especially when paired with our next ingredient for a tremendous blend of nutty and savory textures.
- Almonds – These are added to our healthy stuffed dates to add some extra crunch and nut textures into the mix, plus for some extra healthiness!
- Dark Chocolate – We like to add dark chocolate crumbles onto the peanut butter once stuffed into our dates, to add some sweetness without overdoing it.
- Coarse Salt (Optional) – If you want to go on the sweet & salty side with your healthy stuffed dates, add some coarse salt to the finished product.
Peanut Butter Dates Recipe
Pit Dates – The first step in our peanut butter dates recipe is to pit our dates. Follow these steps for the easiest way to do so:
- With a sharp knife, carefully slice each date lengthwise without cutting all the way through.
- Pry open the date with your thumbs, and push the back of the date with your index fingers to expose the pit.
- Remove this pit and dispose (or compost).
- Place all pitted dates together on a single plate or tray.
How to Stuff Dates – Our next step is to stuff the dates, which is perhaps the most fun part. Using a small spoon, scoop up some Ezra Cohen Montreal peanut butter and carefully place it within the date, slowly filling more from the inside toward the opening. Be careful not to be too aggressive, as you may puncture the back of the date with your spoon.
Also, make sure that you’ve filled in enough on the inside, and that your peanut butter isn’t solely on the outside ready to be pushed in when you take a bite. Further, don’t go overboard, unless you really love peanut butter. Keep the peanut butter toward the opening, and refrain from smothering the entire exterior of the date.
Add Toppings – Finally, add your toppings to the healthy stuffed dates, making sure to cover them with peanut butter as this will allow the toppings to stick. If you wish to add salt, you can either put it solely on the peanut butter portion or lightly rub water on the exterior to let the salt stick on the entire date.
Refrigerate or Freeze – Let your healthy stuffed dates cool in the refrigerator/freezer for 30-60 minutes so they can become more firm. They can last up to a week in the fridge, and several months in the freezer. Use storage bags to avoid contamination.
We hope you enjoy this delicious peanut butter stuffed dates recipe! Browse through Ezra Cohen Montreal’s various nut butters to discover more options for your date treats, or contact us today for any questions or comments.